Estonia Flag Estonia

Travel Warnings

United States: Department of State International Travel Information

Latest advice,

Reissued with updates to health information.

Exercise normal precautions in Estonia.

Read the country information page for additional information on travel to Estonia.

If you decide to travel to Estonia:


Australia: Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade Travel Advice

Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade does not issue travel warnings for specific countries, but issues travel advice for every country. The information below is excerpted from its summary assessments of Estonia

Current as of: 12 December 2022
Last Reviewed: 4 October 2022
Latest Advice: Exercise normal safety precautions in Estonia.
Civil unrest and political tension

Civil unrest is generally not a problem in Estonia.

However, you should monitor local media for updates during public protests and events that draw large groups of people. If you're in an area affected by protests, follow the advice of local authorities.

More information:

  • Demonstrations and civil unrest

Street crime includes:

  • bag snatching
  • pickpocketing
  • mugging
  • petty theft

Airports, train stations, parks, routes to major hotels and the Old Town in Tallinn are popular locations for pickpockets.

Pickpockets often work together in small groups. Keep a close eye on your belongings.

Drink spiking happens in bars and casinos. Don't leave drinks unattended.

Car theft is common, especially in Tallinn. Use secure and well-lit carparks. Don't leave valuables in vehicles.

Credit card fraud happens in tourist areas. Locations include shops, restaurants, bars and nightclubs. Keep an eye on your credit card at all times.

Internet crimes have been reported. These include online dating and scams involving money.

Be wary of online contact from people you don't know.

Don't send money until you've checked who you're sending it to.


While there have been no recent terrorist attacks in Estonia, they can still happen.

There's an ongoing threat of terrorism in Europe. Terrorists have staged attacks in European cities.

Terrorism is a threat worldwide.

More information:

  • Terrorism

Climate and natural disasters

Estonia can experience natural disasters or severe weather across the country, including:

  • extremely cold winters
  • heavy snowfalls

These affect major metropolitan areas.

Winter weather can severely delay transport and temporarily shut down services and roads.

Flooding may happen in spring, from March to May.

If there's a natural disaster or severe weather:

  • monitor the media and local sources for updates
  • follow the advice of local authorities

United Kingdom: Foreign and Commonwealth Office Foreign Travel Advice

Before you travel, check the ‘Entry requirements’ section for Estonia’s current entry restrictions and requirements. These may change with little warning. Monitor this advice for the latest updates and stay in contact with your travel provider.

If you plan to pass through another country to return to the UK, check the travel advice for the country you’re transiting.

If you are arriving into Estonia from Russia, see the local travel section of our Safety and Security page.

It is more important than ever to get travel insurance and check it provides sufficient cover. See the FCDO’s guidance on foreign travel insurance.

There are rules about taking food and drink into the EU. See Taking food and drink into the EU for further information.

Over 115,000 British tourists visit Estonia every year. Most visits are trouble-free.

If you are living in or moving to Estonia, please see our Living in Estonia guide in addition to this travel advice

Terrorist attacks in Estonia can’t be ruled out. See Terrorism

You must have the original V5C vehicle registration document if you’re driving into Estonia. See Road travel

Take sensible precautions against petty crime. See Crime

If you need to contact the emergency services call 112.

If you are abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission.

The Overseas Business Risk service offers information and advice for British companies operating overseas on how to manage political, economic, and business security-related risks.